Friday, February 25, 2011

Week 20 (3) - Pushing Back the background

I am learning so much! I was realizing that the background was a bit too bright, too evident. But as I was painting it, the items each became quite important. So in my weekly conversation with my mentor, we discussed an interesting technique of mixing a transparent "black" made of ultramarine and transparent brown oxide, thinning with solvent and brushing it on the dry parts of the background. (DO NOT do this on areas that are not dry!)
Ha! You go ahead and take a big brush of black and paint it over hours of work! See if you don't suffer the heart racing, light headed sensations.
Then you wipe it down. It leaves something like an antiquing stain to the surface. Not really glazing with medium. But a way of taking it down a bit. Looks like I'll have to do it again to some of the brighter areas on the left. But in person, it makes a huge difference in how the subject, Wayne, reads.

3 comments:

Trevor Burrowes said...

Thanks for sharing this information. My work has invariably looked better when I put one or more softening washes over it. Never had a scientific way to do it, as you now have, however. I see how it makes Wayne stand out, although I wonder if there are different color mixes that would simultaneously do what this does, while expanding your colorist's bent. Maybe not, huh?

krista said...

Interesting! What works, works. I congratulate you for trying new things, and being brave with your painting! Looking good!

Deborah Allison said...

Thank you! The whole painting has been "trying new things" and that is good. A bit like walking on a balance beam. Good thing the floor is really close.