Friday, March 4, 2011

Week 21 - Fabric and such


Worked hard this week. Painting like crazy. Was hoping to get it finished for a March 1st deadline, but not even close. So I'm going to take a break and work on another piece for a bit.

I'm trying to strike the balance with the background, where it is detailed enough to be there, but not over detailed and seeping into the foreground.

Worked on Wayne's clothing, too. Like I said, though, there is still a lot of work to be done.


Part of the mentoring process is actually taking the time to sit with the mentor and we are planning that trip now. Around the middle of the month we are heading to her studio in CA for a few days of painting, etc. Nervous and excited! We've been talking about once a week since October and have established a very comfortable relationship. She is getting better about "tough love" and I'm getting better about using the information. Yesterday we discussed a new commission I'm getting and looking at various compositions - traditional and a much more dramatic cropping of the image. Looking for that "magic". It has been so helpful having a different set of eyes and vision.


4 comments:

Trevor Burrowes said...

I LOVE the background. I think crazy things. Like hoe Earth is enveloped in a blue haze when seen from space. Or like looking underwater. The background recedes, but in a "colorful" way. I love the crease in the pants. This is coming along extremely well.

Deborah Allison said...

Thanks, Trevor! I swing back and forth about it all. Some moments thinking it's great and I love it, to other moments of feeling overwhelmed with how much fixing and changing I want to do. But that's part of the path, isn't it? Your words help!

Trevor Burrowes said...

I had been thinking. For me, this IS a depiction of Earth seen from space. And it IS a view from underwater. It is no longert just a painting. If I were a fish I could swim in it. Being human, I want to inhale its atmosphere.

Deborah Allison said...

You have a magical command of the language and imagery. Beautiful way to describe it.
Let's see what happens as I continue.