Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 20 - Building more detail in background


Still working on the background and refining angles and shapes. The perspective of the space has its challenges.
Unrelated news - though related to the mentoring part! I have had my painting "Jan" accepted into the Hunting Art Prize 2nd jurying. This is usually about 130 pieces out of about 1300 entries. There is only one prize that is awarded at their gala, April 30th. I've entered before, but never been selected to the final group.
Part of the advise given by my mentor and many others is to submit work for competitions and shows. So I've been trying to...

3 comments:

Trevor Burrowes said...

Good progress. I see the perspective challenge--especially looking frontally and down on the ground at the same time!I always fudge angles myself! :-). Glad to hear about the Hartung (in Taos?).

Krista said...

Congratulations on making the first cut for the art prize! That's cool. And the painting is looking great.

Deborah Allison said...

Thank you! The perspective issues are actually not from two points of view. I am viewing it from a far enough distance...ok, photographed it from one location. The issue is more getting a consistant "point of view" from multiple shots. And then there is the distortion from the camera lens, too.

The Hunting Art Prize is a biggy out of Houston, though they tend to choose much more contemporary, conceptual pieces. So it should be interesting!