Monday, October 25, 2010

Day Twelve - The gallery side of art

Today, no painting. There is a business side to art that must be addressed. My artwork is showing at a cooperative gallery in Alpine and all of the participating artists must work 2 days a month. These are 8 hour days, but it is a peaceful environment. We get a number of customers and it is a pleasure talking to them. I am pretty good at talking about the work, even my own. But I find it very hard to say "my name is...., please come and see what I've done".
I do have brochures and business cards out, so they help. And the director of the gallery has made us some very professional name tags.

Part of the mentoring process is goal setting. And I think I'm going to have to set some real goals about promotion and networking. We are fairly well connected in this area, but with a population of about 6,000, there aren't a lot of portrait commission potentials. So the goal must entail reaching a larger area.

No comments: