Saturday, December 18, 2010

Week 10 - Trying to re-set the pace

Alot has happened since the last post, though not so much progress. Got stalled on the watercolor and oil sketch. Expect to be re-energized after this weekend!

We went to Dallas to deliver the landscape to my client's home. I was so honored by the reception; they'd changed their lighting for the piece and we all celebrated with a lovely dinner.
That same evening, I spent some time doing another quick sketch of my client in preparation for the portrait. No hat and a bit more relaxed this time. The next step is to do a drawing that incorporates elements from photos, drawings and background info.
Important notes: when asked how he'd describe himself, he said "Teacher, Rancher & Grandfather". I will keep those words in mind as I work on the painting.

2 comments:

Trevor Burrowes said...

I'm struck by the drawing--how you made decisions to forego copying, using darker lines for the crack of the mouth, eyes and nostrils.I hope I'm not too off the mark. :-)

Deborah Allison said...

I'd love to say it was a conscious decision to do them that way, but I'm pretty sure it was simply the fact that I wasn't sure of the lines and went over them a couple of times. It was more challenging because he was not posing, but chatting with Wayne and moving about a bit. Good practice tho!